Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Alice and Love Never Dies Reviews

Once again, I am going to be a movie and music nerd! Here I go!

This weekend I went and saw Alice in Wonderland. I saw it in the IMAX in 3D. I absolutely loved it. It was even better in the IMAX. It was massive. Honestly, it is the best way to watch it. My family knows me very well. Russell went and saw it. He thought it was 'really weird.' My mom commented that Nicole will love it then. I do not necessarily love all weird movies, just most of them (especially if they are Tim Burton). There are many things I loved about it:

  • Johnny Depp was just fantastic as the Mad Hatter. No one else honestly could have pulled off this role. Watching the Hatter 'break dance' at the end was hilarious as well.

  • The look of the movie was fantastic. Very bright and colorful. The special effects were amazing.

  • You could tell that the physical and vocal casts were having fun. They wanted to be in the film. I hate it when I go to a movie and it is obvious that the actor is only in the movie for the paycheck.

  • The musical score (yes, I am a soundtrack nerd) by Danny Elfman is wonderful. I listened to it for 3 days straight.

So to be straight forward....Johnny Depp and Tim Burton, I will follow you wherever you go.


I also purchased and have listened to the whole CD of Love Never Dies. If you do not know what that is, it is the sequel to the Phantom of the Opera. It opened in the West End last week and will be opening on Broadway in November. Christine is being played by Sierra Boggess, she was the original Ariel in Disney's Little Mermaid Musical (still very jealous Kim and parents). The Phantom is being played by Ramin Karimloo (his voice is gorgeous by the way, it will make you melt). All I have to say is if you do not want to be spoiled in hope of seeing the musical someday, do NOT listen to the CD. The whole plot is revealed. No surprises left for me! Highlights of what I heard:
  • The Phantom's main song, "Till I Hear You Sing" is amazing. I just listen to it over and over again. Need the ringtone......

  • The duet between the Phantom and Christine "Beneath a Moonless Sky" is powerful and passionate. WOW!

  • Sierra singing "Love Never Dies" is great. Wish I had her voice, just an amazing soprano.
Overall, it is not as good as the Phantom of Opera (not even close) but not Webber's worst. I can recommend it for Broadway fans.

No comments: