Monday, February 9, 2009

Review of Coraline

I am one of those Tim Burton movie freaks. What I mean is that I do enjoy weird, out of the box movies. Tonight I watched Coraline, the new Henry Selick film (he directed The Nightmare Before Christmas). I did like this movie but I DO NOT recommend it for little kids. I was disturbed and creeped out as I was watching this movie. One of the concepts of this movie is that a horrible creature/person (known as the Other Mother) is trying to get the little girl, Coraline, to sew buttons over her eyes and stay with the Other Mother in her fantasy world. Button eyes are creepy on people that is all I am going to say. The whole movie I was thinking about how several of my little kindergarteners would totally freak out during this movie. I was imagining the screaming and crying. There was also a scene that I would call being almost pornographic for a kiddie flick. One the female characters all but exposes their top half if you know what I mean. I am not saying that this was a horrible movie, it is just more for adults than for kids. You also have to have an 'acquired' taste for this type of film. The voice cast was also amazing. Dakota Fanning was fantastic as Coraline and Teri Hatcher was great as Coraline's mother and The Other Mother. If you love The Nightmare Before Christmas, I definitely say go see this. You will love it. Make sure you watch it in 3-D though. The 3-D was flipping awesome!

1 comment:

McKell & Jarrett said...

Hey girl! I saw your mom the other night she said you had told her i had my baby! Glad you found my blog!