Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My Oscar Blog/Ranting

Since I am a bit movie obsessive, people have been asking me about how I feel about the Academy Award nominations. I know that some people do not care or are not interested but I am going to let you know my opinion.

First, the best picture nominations were Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon, The Reader, Slumdog Millionaire, and Milk. What is wrong here? The Dark Knight was not nominated. I was not happy. I do not like that the Academy is always nominating small independent movies that no one has seen and most people do not really care about. I honestly have only seen Benjamin Button (it is the only one that is not rated R). I think that the Academy should have been smart and nominated the Dark Knight to get their viewing audience up. Last year was the lowest watched show ever. All the films were independent films and I had only seen one of them (Atonement). The year that had the most viewership was the year Titanic won. The movie that is getting the most 'buzz' and will probably win is Slumdog Millionaire.

Also, I love that the Academy has finally decided to recognize how wonderful animated movies can be. Awhile ago, they started having the best animated film category. But now all animated films will be stuck in that category. Only one animated movie has ever been nominated for best picture and that was Beauty and the Beast (my favorite movie by the way). I feel that Wall E deserved a best picture nomination as well, but because of this category it will not get that recognition. If an animated film is truly the best movie of the year, shouldn't it be recognized and honored as so? Wall-E is going to easily win this category (it is against Bolt and Kung Fu Panda).

A lot of people are also wondering if Heath Ledger is going to win the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for the Joker. My answer is yes he probably will and yes I think he deserves it. The only other nomination I could see that could upset this is Josh Brolin for Milk (haven't seen Milk but have heard Brolin is really good in it).

Best Actress needs and should go to Kate Winslet for The Reader. Many movie critics were surprised that she was nominated for this movie and not Revolutionary Road. I love Kate Winslet and this is her 6th nomination so I think her time has come and she should win. There is a lot of competition in this category though so we will see! I have not seen this performance though and I will not because The Reader is what I would call a hard R.

So that is my Oscar Rant and I guess I will post my feelings again after we find out who has won! I will be watching it on TV because that is just what I do but also Hugh Jackman is the host this year. Yeah!


PS: More info about the nominees at http://www.oscars.com/

1 comment:

Brandie Page said...

I totally agree with you on all of that. I would LOVE to plan another girls night.